Fire Safety Tips
Many Victorians enjoy their fireplaces this winter. There are many places to purchase firewood, but also we need to be careful this winter season.
If you are a lucky resident of Victoria with a fireplace or insert, this winter you get to enjoy the warmth of a fire in your home. If you have a gas fireplace, you are lucky enough to not need wood, but for wood burning fireplaces there are many key details you need to take into account this winter.
You need to make sure your chimney is safe and clean as to prevent a fire. There are many chimney cleaners on Victoria that can help with their services.
In addition, the Canada Fire Safety Administration offers safety tips on keeping your home safe while using a fireplace. Here are a few:
- Have your chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist.
- Clear the area around the hearth of debris, decorations and flammable materials.
- Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces that do not have a glass fireplace door.
- Use fire-resistant materials on walls around wood stoves.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Never burn cardboard boxes, trash or debris in your fireplace or wood stove.
- Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house.